|The new Eat the Whistle webpage is now online!|
Eat the Whistle is a complete, free, opensource 2d soccer game, it can be played through keyboard of with a joypad/digital joystick, against the CPU or against another player, it has two playing modes, arcade and simulation, with different rules. It's available for Windows, Mac and Linux packaged with an installer, or as source code for other operating systems (works also for instance on AmigaOS, BeOS. MorphOS and Solaris). The game it's distributed under the GPL licence release 2.
Click here to download the game, see a complete list of the features and a few screenshots.
Here is a short feature list got from the webpage:
- System friendly. Run in a window or fullscreen, can be played also on old machines (runs pefectly on a P200).
- World cup, leagues, cups with real teams (with slightly modified names).
- Can be played through keyboard or joypad/joysticks (USB or Gameport).
- Network playing through TCP/IP (not yet finished).
- Very intuitive control method with acceleration/deceleration.
- More than 550 frames of animations for the players, 300 for the goalkeeper, 100 for the refree and a lot of other graphics.
- 30 different fields, including muddy, frozen and wet.
- Fouls, corners, throw-in with an intuitive control system.
- Role playing. (You can play a match as the whole team or only as a player).
- About every thing in the game is configurable via intuitive menus.
- Game Tactics and tactic editor.
- Heading and other special shots with intuitive controls.
- Team players (with individual stats) and team editor (the editor is actually available only for AmigaOS).
- Import SWOS (Sensible word of soccer) teams.
- Arcade mode with powerups, bonuses... (something like
- Replays (with load/save option).